ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY 5PM CST ON THURSDAY, MAY 4, 2017.
The YMCA of Austin is a 501(c)(3) non-profit serving over 60,000 members and 30,000 program participants every year. The Y is dedicated to building programs for youth development, for healthy living and for social responsibility that promote strong families, character values, youth leadership and community development.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. It’s who we are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day. We are cause-driven. We don’t just show up, we show up with purpose. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
Join us and help transform lives.
Under the guidance of a Branch Senior Program Director II, the Youth & Family Program Director is responsible for the organization, delivery and quality of YMCA program(s) to the membership, program participants and community. All programs must incorporate the 40 developmental assets and the four core values of the YMCA while focusing on Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility. This individual is responsible for the initiation and implementation of new programs, the training and supervision of necessary staff, and the evaluation and modification of these initiatives. This position works independently under general direction and is expected to determine how to accomplish tasks.
- Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Y's values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCA's efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising, and policy leadership levels. Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors.
- Collaboration: Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Serves as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources for the development of others.
- Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involves members and community in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Institutes sound accounting procedures, investment policies and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
- Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education: Bachelor's degree from four-year College or university in recreation management, physical education, or related field preferred.
- Experience: 3 to 5 years of experience in a supervisory position. Experience creating, implementing and evaluating youth programming required.
- Certifications: CPR/First Aid Certification preferred.
- Technical Skills:
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Knowledge of member relations system and/or database.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel, Word, Outlook.
- Ability to apply knowledge of accounting and finance basics.
- Must assume responsibility for accuracy and timeliness of work product.
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed to meet deadlines.
- Must collaborate with outside organizations to achieve organizational goals.
- Must lead by example
- Proven ability to multi-task.
- Proven ability to manage projects and coordinate events in conjunction with other staff members, departments and volunteers in order to achieve long and short-range goals of the Association.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
The member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building be a top priority at all times, attending to the needs and requests of health seekers, members, and all people associated with the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner.
Youth Programs (Sports, Programs & Enrichment Classes)
- Develop, review, and distribute rules, guidelines and handbooks.
- Ensure safety procedures are followed and incident/accident reports are filed in a timely manner.
- Works with Supervisor and other department heads to provide risk management drills for all staff.
- Organize and conduct parent orientation meetings
- Organize and conduct coach training and meetings.
- Train and schedule sports officials, program staff, and other staff as necessary for program needs.
- Develop and coach staff and instructors in order to meet the needs of the participants as well as provide an optimal experience for both children and parents.
- Create yearly and seasonal sport and youth program schedules to ensure timely delivery of all services
- Secure and schedule athletic fields and facilities.
- Create teams and program rosters from paid and financially assisted registrations.
- Develop and distribute team practice and game schedules as well as program rosters to instructors.
- Purchase and distribute team uniforms and awards.
- Coordinate and distribute team photographs.
- Organize and host season parties and events, including culminating event for progressive skill-based programs such as gymnastics, dance, etc.
- Transport, organize and set up equipment for games, practices, and programs.
- Monitor and purchase necessary equipment.
- Organize and conduct sports clinics, mini camps and seasonal programs.
- Collect program participation data.
- Ensure the distribution and collection of program evaluations.
- Work with participants and members to identify and develop new and emerging sport leagues and/or programs to meet needs of the community.
- Promote registration of all programs.
- Ensure waivers and appropriate risk management paperwork is complete for all participants.
- Ensure safety procedures are followed and incident/accident reports are filed in a timely manner.
- Recruit and train mentors/volunteers for specific programs.
- Provide guidance and mentorship for at least one Youth & Government club.
- Under guidance from Supervisor, coordinate registration and participation in program related conferences.
- Provide timely communication to staff, participants, and participant’s guardians.
- Directly supervises part time and non-exempt employees and volunteers.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Recruits, trains, and develops non-exempt and part time program staff and volunteers.
- Plans, assigns, and directs staff and volunteer work.
- Conducts performance appraisals, rewards and discipline.
- Monitors and updates all required staff certifications.
- Addresses complaints and resolves problems.
- Coordinates use of branch facilities for program activities and events.
- Establish and maintain file/data management schedule and recordkeeping.
- Compiles program statistics.
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program.
- Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
Communication & Mission Advancement
- Promotes and incorporates the YMCA five core values, 40 Developmental Assets, and character development model into all program activities.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with other community organizations.
- Establishes new program activities and expands program within the community in accordance with the Association and branch strategic plans.
- Assists in branch fund raising activities and special events.
- Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Assists with Program Committee meetings
- Attend Youth & Family Kindred meetings, act as representative of the branch.
- Serve as an exempt staff member to the YMCA of Austin, performing those duties as assigned by Branch Director and President/CEO of the YMCA.
- Actively and enthusiastically support the Branch and Association goals and directions through effective completion of tasks and verbal display to peers, staff, members and guests.
- Personally participate and solicit others for necessary YMCA financial development programs such as Partner of Youth, capital projects etc.
The salary range for this positions is $34,000 to $39,000, depending on experience with full benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance plus employer-matched retirement upon reaching eligibility.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, bend, talk and occasionally lift and/or move items including equipment, furniture and/or children. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.