ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE BY 5PM CST ON FRIDAY, APRIL 28
The YMCA of Austin is a 501(c)(3) non-profit serving over 60,000 members and 30,000 program participants every year. The Y is dedicated to building programs for youth development, for healthy living and for social responsibility that promote strong families, character values, youth leadership and community development.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. It’s who we are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day. We are cause-driven. We don’t just show up, we show up with purpose. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
Join us and help transform lives.
Under the direction of the Health & Wellness Director II, the Health & Wellness Coordinator – Personal Training is a leadership position responsible for ensuring the smooth operation and high quality in the Personal Training Program and Fitness Center to enhance member engagement and retention. This position will provide leadership, staff development and administrative support to the Personal Training staff team. This position serves as the point of contact for Personal and Group Training and Y Active Programs and assists with Fitness Center duties as needed.
- Community- Makes member, program participants and community needs paramount and does everything in his/her power to engage and partner with members and community to exceed expectations.
- Relationships- Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual/team performance to support the Y’s work.
- Communication – Listens and expresses ideas effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
- Developing Others- Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
- Commitment to Quality Results – Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences
- Change Capacity – Leads self and other through change by navigating ambiguity appropriately and adapting well to new situations, obstacles, and opportunities.
- Emotional Maturity – Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills.
- Functional Expertise- Has the functional and technical knowledge/skills to do the job at a high level.
- Decision Making – Integrates logic, intuition, and sound judgment to analyze information to identify greatest opportunities, make sound decisions, and solve problems.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with differing abilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education: Bachelor degree from a 4 year college in exercise science, recreation management, sports management, kinesiology, public health or a similar field preferred.
- Experience: One year or more of direct supervision experience and Personal Training experience.
- Knowledge & Skills:
- Interested in contributing to the mission, voice and culture of the YMCA of Austin.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, and Outlook and ability to quickly learn other software programs
- Able to multi-task and assume responsibility for accuracy and timeliness of work product
- Ability to work a set schedule of Mon – Thurs, 10:30am-7pm and Fri or Sat 8am-2pm.
- Position will be 35 hours of administrative duties and 5 hours of personal training or leading group training programs
- Team player with a positive, service-oriented attitude
- Exercising mature judgment and sound decision making.
- Must have current CPR certification.
- Current nationally accredited personal training certification (ACSM, NASM, MSCA, ACE)
The member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building is a top priority at all times. The Personal Training Coordinator must attend to the needs, and requests of health seekers, members, and all people associated with the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner, using the Y voice.
- Provide leadership and support to all trainers
- Models and reinforces positive, inclusive environment for members to pursue healthy living at all fitness levels.
- Lead monthly Personal Trainer in-service meetings
- Assist Health & Wellness Director in supporting efforts of Annual Campaign
- Program and Administrative Support
- Oversee quality and delivery of Personal Training, Group Training and Y Active programs, including responding to all member inquiries.
- Ensures high quality standards of the personal training experience for our members.
- Process all Personal Training agreements and registrations through Daxko Operations software
- Confirm all paperwork is correctly submitted by trainers and filed appropriately
- Oversee Group Training Program registration, roster and staff scheduling
- Send welcome emails to members of Personal Training and Group Training Programs
- Track weekly sessions of trainers and clients through Appointment King software and ensure accountability for trainer staff
- Assist members in finding the best trainer match
- Follow up on all Personal Training Consultations to ensure members needs are met
- People Management
- Assists in auditioning and interviewing new fitness center staff, personal trainers and volunteers
- Train and on-board all new personal training staff and interns
- Observe trainers doing consultations and provide regular feedback to ensure a smooth and consistent process.
- Supervise and develop Fitness Center staffing and Group Fitness Orientations schedules
- Ensure trainers are submitting paperwork and agreement renewals by deadlines
- Fiscal Management
- Support Personal and Group Training programs and staffing to meet budget requirements
- Facilities / Risk Management
- Ensure PAR-Q and medical clearance paperwork is completed and filed for all participants of Personal Training and Group Training programs.
- Supervise upkeep of Fitness Assessment equipment, Polar Body Age software, and Appointment King software
- Maintains facility cleanliness through close-out procedures, facility reset and weekly audits.
- Report equipment issues to Facility Director.
While performing the duties of this job, the staff member must be able to sustain long periods of active work. Ability to conduct one-on-one training, small or large group classes and activities that last up to an hour or so in duration. Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including sitting, talking, typing on a computer, leading class, walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting weights or objects of 50-75lbs. safely. (I.E. weights, some light machinery within the fitness center, etc.). Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
SALARY: The pay range for this position is $12 to $15/hr, depending on experience and includes a full benefits package (medical, dental, vision), plus employer-matched retirement upon reaching eligibility.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
This position has a primary impact on the overall effectiveness with which the Association accomplishes its aims and objectives in the community. The position holds a primary impact on how the community understands the total YMCA of Austin’s mission through:
- The interpretation of the mission and the purpose of the Association to the community
- The sound administration of programs, good public relations, solid financial, records systems, and good management
- The development and maintenance of trained, helpful, and knowledgeable staff.
- Recognized by the community of the YMCA as providing excellent service for all who walk through our doors, participate in a program/event or contact us in person or by phone or email
- Effectively connecting and building relationships with members and the community, resulting in increased enrollment and retention
- Cooperative and effective work as a team member by communicating and contributing information on a continuous basis