ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE BY 5PM CST ON FRIDAY, APRIL 21ST
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. It’s who we are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day. We are cause-driven. We don’t just show up, we show up with purpose. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
The YMCA Executive Director oversees the total operation of the facility with the principal role of acting as a partner to the many agencies and non-profits serving the North Austin community. The Executive director is responsible for all aspects of managing the uniqueness of the joint partnership between the COA and YMCA including community engagement, membership, programming, financial development, board engagement and staff development.
- Mission Advancement- Reinforce the Y’s values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicate the benefits and impact of the YMCA’s efforts for all stakeholders. Implement effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising, and policy leadership levels. Secure resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors.
- Collaboration: Develop strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Build and nurture strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Serves as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicate for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provide tools and resources for the development of others.
- Operational Effectiveness: Integrate multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involve members and community in the development of programs and activities. Ensure execution of plans. Institute sound accounting procedures, investment policies and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability and ensure continuous improvement.
- Personal Growth: Foster a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Create a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipate challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning.
- Relationships- Build authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
- Communication – Listen and express ideas effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
- Change Capacity- Lead self and others through change by navigating ambiguity appropriately and adapting well to new situations, obstacles, and opportunities.
- Seek opportunities for partnership and collaboration in support of advancing the Y mission to reach the surrounding community. Represent and promote the YMCA in the community and develop positive working relationships with other organizations, businesses, and governmental entities.
- Seek, foster and recruit volunteers for branch Board positions. Coordinate the development of the branch Board and committees and direct the volunteer activities (policy and program) of the branch.
- Oversee the hiring, development, and supervision of staff.
- Develop, manage, and monitor the branch operating budget and meet or exceed budget targets.
- Directs branch strategic planning efforts and develop the annual operating plan of the branch.
- Develop and direct high quality relationship-based member engagement strategies ensuring membership growth and retention.
- Model relationship-building skills in all interactions with staff, volunteers, members, and the community.
- Foster a climate of innovation to develop member and community-focused programs which support the Y mission, goals, and strategies.
- Ensure the safety and maintenance of high quality facilities, grounds, and equipment.
- Direct branch marketing/communications to effectively communicate benefit to the community.
To perform this job successfully, the Executive Director must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education- Bachelor’s degree in human services, social services, business or equivalent.
- Experience- Seven or more years of management experience, preferably in a YMCA or other nonprofit agency. Five or more years of experience directing total operations through community engagement, volunteer development, supervision of staff, development and monitoring of branch budget, marketing and public relations, and program development.
- Certifications- YMCA Multi-Team or Branch Leader certification preferred.
- Languages – fluent in Spanish preferred.
- Additional Skills:
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others.
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborations with community organizations
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, bend, talk and occasionally lift and/or move items including equipment, furniture and/or children. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
This position has a primary impact on the overall effectiveness with which the Association accomplishes its aims and objectives in the community. The incumbent has a primary impact on the community’s understanding of the total YMCA of Austin’s mission through:
- The interpretation of the mission and the purpose of the Association to the community.
- The sound administration of programs, good public relations, solid financial and records systems, and good management.
- Meet or exceed annual campaign goal
- Implement the strategic plan as it relates to the North Austin YMCA.
- The development and maintenance of trained, helpful and knowledgeable staff.
- Recognition by the community of the YMCA as providing excellent service for all who walk through our doors, participate in a program/event or contact us in person or by phone or email.
ABOUT THE COA/YMCA NORTH AUSTIN RECREATION CENTER
The City of Austin and the YMCA crafted a unique partnership to serve the community of North Austin in 2012. The partnership allowed for a complete renovation of a facility optimizing serving the surrounding community. The facility owned by the City and fully operated by the YMCA is both architecturally impressive and provides a beautiful structure and surrounding park, playground and community garden as well as being a state-of-the-art health and wellness center that includes open-access community spaces, child watch center, gymnasium, indoor pools, teen room, computer lab, and community meeting rooms.
ABOUT THE YMCA
The YMCA of Austin is a 501(c)(3) non-profit serving over 60,000 members and 30,000 program participants every year. The Y is dedicated to building programs for youth development, for healthy living and for social responsibility that promote strong families, character values, youth leadership and community development.
Join us and help transform lives.